Cypress School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

Employment FAQs

What are your office hours?
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except holidays.

Are you accepting employment applications?
Please refer to our Employment Opportunities and Information page.

What is the rate of pay for substitute teaching in Cypress School District?
Certificated substitutes are paid $170 per day, or $180 per day if an assignment extends past 10 consecutive days, retroactive to the first day in the assignment. The Certificated Substitute Salary Schedule is available on the Job Descriptions and Salary Schedules page.

What is the rate of pay for classified (non-teaching) substitutes in Cypress School District?
Classified substitute pay varies by the position worked.  The Classified Substitute Salary Schedule is available on the Job Descriptions and Salary Schedules page.

What is required to substitute teach?
All individuals wishing to teach in a California public school, including substitute teaching, must hold a teaching credential or permit. Teaching credentials and substitute teaching permits are issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).

There are several teaching permits available. The 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit is for those who wish to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12. Requirements for initial issuance of the 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit are: (1) a bachelor’s degree or higher, (2) verification that the Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) has been met, and (3) fingerprint/criminal records clearance.

For information on serving as a substitute teacher in Orange County public schools, please contact the Orange County Department of Education, (714) 966-4000, and ask for the Credentials/LiveScan Unit.

What are the requirements to be considered for a long-term substitute teacher assignment in Cypress School District?
To qualify for long-term assignments you must, in addition to the requirements necessary for employment, hold a valid teaching credential, and possess an English Learner certification.

Does Cypress School District hire teachers who hold or are eligible for Internship Credentials?
Currently, we have no intern agreements for regular education teachers. Internships for special education will be considered as positions become available.

How can I do my student teaching at Cypress School District?
The district has student teaching agreements with several local universities and welcomes the opportunity to provide this learning experience to students pursuing their teaching credential. Arrangements for student placement are made between the university and the Human Resources department.  If you would like to do your student teaching with us, please make your desire known to your university supervisor.

What are the requirements for Instructional Aides and Paraeducators in Cypress School District?
Qualifications are listed on the Instructional Aide and Paraeducator job descriptions.  Please be aware that documentation of required education must be submitted in order to be considered for these positions. Job descriptions are available on the Job Descriptions and Salary Schedules page.

When is your next test for Instructional Aide/Paraeducator?
This test is not offered on a regularly scheduled basis. Test dates are set to follow the recruitment period for each advertised position.  Qualified applicants will be contacted and advised of test dates.

Do you have a study guide for your Instructional Aide/Paraeducator test?
Study guides will be offered to applicants who have been invited to take the proficiency test.