Cypress parent education classes give families tools to support their children's education at home. You are guaranteed to leave the workshops with resources and information you can begin using immediately.
Reservations are required. Two sessions are offered for each class, one in the daytime and one in the evening. Sign-up information is sent to parents via email approximately one week prior to each class.
- STEM Education: Cypress School District’s STEM education initiative provides students with a hands-on project-based learning program that supports learning in science, technology, engineering, and math. This presentation will provide you with information about the district’s STEM program and how to support your child’s understanding of STEM outside of the school day. Thursday, October 25, 2018
- Transitioning to Junior High: Junior high school can be an exciting and difficult time for students transitioning from elementary school. This presentation will provide tips to help you and your child have a much smoother transition into junior high. Information that will be discussed includes changes in the learning environment, adolescent social life, well-being, and organization/time management. This workshop is for parents of students in grades 4-6. Thursday, December 6, 2018
- Budget Basics for Youth: Budgeting and money management are necessary life skills that require a lot of practice and planning. Through this presentation, you will learn some steps you can take to help your child develop his/her financial literacy skills and plan for the future. Thursday, January 31, 2019
- Smarter Balanced Online Assessments: To measure academic performance on the state standards, students in grades 3-6 are administered the Smarter Balanced online assessments in English language arts and math. Students in grade 5 also take the California Science Test (CAST). These tests provide accurate and meaningful information about what students are learning by adapting to each student’s ability, giving teachers and parents better information to help students succeed in school and after. In this workshop, you will learn how an adaptive computer test works, how the test is scored, and how to best help your child. Wednesday, March 6, 2019
- 40 Developmental Assets: The Search Institute has identified 40 positive supports and strengths that young people need to succeed. Half of the assets focus on the relationships and opportunities they need in their families, schools, and communities (external assets). The remaining assets focus on the social-emotional strengths, values, and commitments that are nurtured within young people (internal assets). In this workshop, you will learn how to help your child develop each of these assets. Thursday, March 28, 2019
- Social Media & Internet Safety: The Internet has drastically changed the way that children interact with the world. This workshop covers the basics of how to talk to your child about responsible use of the internet. You will become familiar with appropriate freedoms and limitations your child should have based on his/her age. This comprehensive presentation will give you the proper tools to ensure that your child's online browsing remains safe! Thursday, August 30, 2018
- Thinking Maps: Thinking Maps and Write From the Beginning are instructional tools utilized across all grades in the Cypress School District. This presentation will provide you with an understanding of what these programs are and how they support reading comprehension, organization of ideas, and effective written communication. Thursday, September 27, 2018